Thursday, November 24, 2005

A DAY FOR THANKS…

I could probably sit and make a list of hundreds of things that I’m thankful for. I’m sure even on that long a list, there would be some things that were unintentionally deleted due to the chest congestion I’m experiencing this week (one thing that would NOT make my thanksgiving list). Today, for the sake of you (the reader) and myself (the guy who almost failed keyboarding at Crane High School), I’ll just simply leave a few of my deepest offerings of gratitude.

1. Over the past few months, my understanding of my depravity has grown considerably. I think my lack of theological understanding in my youth, allowed me to minimize my desperate need for redemption. I’m grateful today, that even though I diminished His grace for so long, it never ceased to bring life and salvation. My eternity was purchased, when Christ stood in my place to experience the wrath of God. I’m humbled and moved in my soul, that I’m even granted the ability to give thanks that God saw fit to choose such a sinner as me.
2. I’ve always known that my wife was amazing. I’m consistently blessed by her strength, and enriched by her wisdom. I have however, experienced this more richly than ever before over the past 3 and half months. The arrival of Jessie Rose has shown me a much more colorful beauty within my precious wife. She’s a super-mom, and displays a grace with my daughter than can not be explained. Her love for me is strong and forgiving, in a way I will never deserve. I can’t imagine how I would do life without her. I’m thankful she picked me. I’m thankful that she allowed me to be the father to a beautiful little girl named Jessie Rose, who I’ve only begun to scratch the surface of knowing.
3. Every Thanksgiving Day of my life, the Hatton family (my mom’s side) has gathered together to pig out and celebrate family. I would say that we “break bread and fellowship” but that has a deeper spiritual connotation that definitely isn’t on the minds of the majority here. While I am VERY thankful for my family and the heritage I’m blessed to be a part of, my thanks this year is much more specific. Though I’ve been with this group every year of my life, this is the very first year that my Memaw hasn’t been here. Oddly enough, I’m thankful for her absence this time. Memaw went to her eternal home a few months ago, so today, she’s enjoying a much greater feast and family. My Papaw is undoubtedly “showing her their place” with Jesus. Her chair here is empty, but her legacy is strong.
4. Sunday will also be a unique day of celebration and thanksgiving for me. For a little over a year now, we’ve been working in ministry with Temple Bible Church. Sunday will be my last day with TBC. This chapter of our ministry has been fun and exciting. We have been loved in a way that we’ve never known from a church family. In the way that He does, the Lord has been stirring within our hearts for the past few years about doing a new work. I’m thankful today, that He saw the road ahead, and allowed me to walk this far. As beaten and depraved as I continue to be, I’m still allowed to serve in the Kingdom. Our time with TBC is closing, as an entirely new story is beginning. I’m thankful for The Vista Community for allowing us to experience Church with you. I can’t wait to see where we are this time next year, and to give thanks for things I can’t even dream of today.

No comments: