Sunday, February 19, 2006

We had to cancel our Vista church service this morning because of icy roads. I think it was the first time in years that I've not been in church, and really genuinely missed it. At least this morning felt different than any prior non-church-ed day. I think I always had a "guilty" feeling when I spent the a.m. portion of my Sunday outside a church building, but it was never a feeling that extended into the p.m.. I gave the church "hours" the emptiness (sometimes literally) they deserved, and then went about a normal afternoon "guilt"-free. (I will totally acknowledge however, that the aforementioned "guilty" feeling never existed when I missed a service that took place as scheduled in the p.m. portion of my day. Does anyone miss Sunday night church?)

This would have been our 4th official gathering of The Vista Community Church - Bell County. I can confidently say that this is the most excited, and passionate I have ever been about ministry or church. We gather in a local elementary school, along with about 125 folks, and feast at the table of Christian community. We've already experienced quite a few truly amazing things as a family, including a few folks who have given their lives to Christ. Each week is a new adventure for me, generally preceded by a long sleepless night, because I can't wait. It's like Christmas eve all over again. Only this time I'm looking forward to something other than getting more G.I. Joes.

We love our new church family. We missed them today.

But boy did we have fun playing!